Thursday, January 12, 2006

2006 Session look foward

The link will take you to all the bills registered before the GA. I'll do the Senate in another update.

As I look down this list for the "long session", some of these bills really jump off the page at me.

To note: of the 1,385 bills placed in consideration:

Crime Bills:
-A bill limiting the age of capital punishment to offenders 18 years old or older.
-A bill further definine open container alcohol in a motor vehicle.
-A bill to add EMT's, juvenile justice and probation officer to the Law Enforcement Retirement System. (YES!)
-Several bills continuing on the intoxicated driver penalty increase.
-More laws on Methamphetamine
-A bill to increase the number of judges in the GDC (general distric court) and circuit court systems.
-A bill to prohibt the use of a cell phones while driving. (mixed emotions of this one)
-A bill to repeal the radar detector prohibition.

Education bills:

-There's a bill that will require school resource officers to perform Internet safety training. (? What about the schools without resources officer?)

-There are several bills regarding the benefits for teachers.

-a bill defining assualt and battery of a school bus driver

-A bill requiring seat belts on school buses. (Duh!)

-A bill requiring the state to release SOL results updates periodically.

-A bill putting abstinence in the Family Life Cirrcula and allowing parents or guardians to review the materials before the class is taught. (duh again! But when I asked my son's school in Fluvanna, they in no way objected!)


Other of general interest to me:

- Emmiment Domain issues.
- photo red (again...I still say no)
- Lots and lots of transportation issues.
- Concealed handguns; prohibits person who carries into restaurants from consuming alcoholic beverage. (are we slowly losing the right to carry? I think yes)
- Shenandoah Mountain Salamander; designating as official state amphibian. (If you listen to radio lately, I swear it was the Gecko!)


I plan on posting much more as my time permits.

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home